Thursday, January 20, 2011

Half a....year?

Well, a few days ago I remembered I have a blog. I also remembered I have neglected to write in it for a long time. Specifically, it's been almost half a year since my last post. That's rather pathetic, and I apologize to all of my faithful readers. Foremost among them is my mother. For the rest of you, though, I suppose I should fill you in on the latest happenings in my life.


Well, since my last post in August, we have moved to Tennessee, the land of Davy Crocket, an Orange football team, and the inventors of overalls. We bought a house somewhere between September and October in a little town called Crossville. Since we moved here, we've managed to fit in pretty well. For one, there is the local Library, which rocks the socks off every box. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a better library outside of the Library of Congress. The problem? They don't have enough books to fill it. Outside of that, though, it's the reader's heaven on earth. And I'm a reader. This library of heavenliness also includes an upper story complete with computers and chess boards. What more could you ask for?

Besides the World's Greatest Library, we've also found a really good church to attend. For some odd reason the wonderful people in charge of music at this Church decided that I was good enough to play the keyboard in the Youth Band. Of course, I gladly took the opportunity to use my talent for God, however….

I quickly realized I was way out of my area of expertise. If there are any of you out there who read music, you would think that learning a song would be receiving sheets of paper on which there were notes that you interpret to make music. This, however, is not what the average band does, apparently. I becoming a part of this band I have encountered a new type of sheet music: Chord Charts. For those of you who have never encountered this particular type of music, let me explain.

A chord chart is what you would expect from the name. In other words, it's a chart containing chords. I know what you're probably thinking, "What's the problem, Cory? Don't you know chords?" Well, yes, for the most part. But those among you who have only learned classical music tell me what in all heck this is: F#m7. The first time I arrived at band practice and was handed one of those I thought it was some kind of foreign language. "I'm sorry, I don't read Arabic." Sure, I could do a "D" fine. But I had never in my life encountered a C/G, or even an A/D#m, or a D2, etc.

Granted, I'm starting to catch on, though it's a very slow and tedious process. I still for the life of me can't figure out what a A flat sustained is. I'll continue to work on it.

In the meantime, I've also started working with the Cumberland County Playhouse. So far, I've only been cast in one performance…Camp Rock. Now, don't judge me right away on that fact alone. I realize that Camp Rock is possibly one of the lamest attempts at publicity for a Disney Band in the history of film, but it was the only play they were doing at the moment, so I figured, "Aww, well, might as well try out for the heck of it."

I didn't really think I was going to get a part, however. I just thought it would be worth the experience to try out. Despite scheduling conflicts, I was cast and have since been stumbling and fumbling through dance routines, and practicing songs that, while detestable, are rather difficult to play. In response to that, I do get to play the piano for two parts of a song at the very end of the play. But at least it's a start to a potential stage career, or at least a hobby.

In addition, I tried out for a performance of My Fair Lady that they are putting on in June. Hopefully I'll land a part in that as well so that I can stamp another play onto my resume.

So, there you have it. You're caught up on the main events in my life up to this point. Oh, I almost forgot, I ate French Toast this morning. NOW you're all caught up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment